Tommy Dorsey Era

Moderator: tonyd

Tommy Dorsey Era

Postby Ozgun » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 am

I always think that Frank Sinatra's times with Tommy Dorsey Band is very special. Sinatra is not experienced as a singer so he is shy on stage, has a very natural voice and that beautiful amateur taste in his voice. And the recordings and songs are so nice that we still listen to many of them today, though, in my opinion, Sinatra somehow ruined the songs in his album "I Remember Tommy". That is why I always go for the 1940 versions.

Another beauty of this era is that we don't have too many concert recordings. This makes what we have very valuable unlike a live New York New York song versions.
Ozgun
Site Admin

Re: Tommy Dorsey Era

Postby tonyd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm

I somewhat agree with you. The 5 CD Boxed set "The Song Is You"-RCA 1994 is I think of the great collections in the Sinatra library.All the Sinatra/Dorsey recordings are here in great audio.But I also think there are some great arrangments by Sy Oliver on the "I Remember Tommy" album.
tonyd

Postby tonyd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Here is a great album you can make on your Computer-"I Remember Tommy" using the original recordings.I made it and listen to it as much as any other album.I make a lot of them,now that we haven't any new albums.I'll post a few I made on the "Albums" section of the Forum.
tonyd

Postby tonyd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm

This is true.The Dorsey radio transcriptions(CD 5-The Song Is You)are priceless.
tonyd

Return to Life